Thursday, July 2, 2009

Busy Week or So...

I don't have a lot in the way of pictures but, lots of news. Today, I finally got in for my thyroid biopsy. It took over two months to get it scheduled because somehow the local hospital lost my referral. I had called a week after the referral was made and the hospital said the one nurse who schedules these had it on her desk. So I waited and finally called again last week. I'm glad I followed up with them. I know you sometimes have to wait up here to get in but, two months seemed like way too long. The nodule is probably nothing but I didn't want to leave anything to chance. This thyroid nodule was noted on my MRI I had last summer. That was the one that revealed the tumor. Of course it was a minor note compared to everything else. The biopsy wasn't too bad except my neck is a little sore. I'll let you what, if anything, they find.


I also have my thyroplasty (permanent voice fix) scheduled for Friday Aug. 14th. It works out perfect. I see Dr. Parks for another follow-up for my neck and have my pre-op for the thyroplasty on Thursday. Then go in at 5:30 am Friday for the procedure which is scheduled at 7:30 am. I will be put under for the procedure which is a relief for me. It is suppose to be two hours. I'm going to stay overnight afterwards for observation and rest. Rob will be in the hotel with the kids. I could stay with them that night in the hotel (Stanford just wants me no further than 30 minutes away) but that would not be very restful and be even harder on Rob. Rob and I both agree that if I am there the kids, especially Mackenzie, will be all over me. Then we will drive over to Sacramento on Saturday for my cousin Theresa's baby shower on Sunday.
I am so excited about trying out my new voice in Sacramento with a group of people. I can't wait to start participating more socially again. I enjoy listening but it is hard to have a conversation when one person cannot really talk and be heard. There's really no restrictions after my procedure except no working out or heavy lifting for a week. I checked with Dr. Damrose and it is okay for me to pick up Mackenzie. He meant more along the lines of going to the gym and lifting weights.

We've been enjoying the sunny weather here. Steven loves going over and seeing our neighbor, Marilyn's puupy. So much so he went over one day all by himself without telling anyone. He was outside with Rob while he was working on the fence. Rob thought he came inside and when I told him I thought he was with him we both freaked! When we found him poor Marilyn felt bad she thought we knew. We talked to him about asking first. Here are a couple of cute pictures Marilyn took of Steven and Maya:




Mom, Marilyn made multiple copies so I can send a copy to you too.
Mackenzie is turning into more of a little person than a baby everyday. One of the things she loves is breaking into backpacks and purses. She broke into her diaper bag and found a graham cracker while the credits were rolling on "Free Willy 3." She not only enjoys the graham cracker but sings and dances to the music.

6 comments:

Eileen and Stan said...

Hope that thyroid nodule is nothing. You've had enough!!! Have fun showing off your new voice. Guess Steven has given you your first gray hair with his little adventure. Hold on - more will be coming. Mackenzie is definitely a toddler now. No more baby. Keep us posted on all your medical appointments. Love to all!

Unknown said...

Hi, Erin...I'm looking forward to hearing your new voice and to seeing all of you at Theresa's shower. With you, I hope that the thyroid nodule is nothing. Love Mackenzie the singer and dancer. Ah, yes, little boys do wander off; hopefully, he will remember now to ask first. Hugs, Vaden

Jen said...

Seeing Mackenzie just melted my heart! When I read the story about Steven...my heart skipped a beat. I bet that was a scary one for you! I am glad all was well! I am glad you keep following up on your doctors and appointments...someone has to keep them in line!!! I look forward to hearing about it all. How exciting will it be to have your voice back? I can't wait to see you next month...Jacob will be able to walk to you! Hee!

Ron said...

You rock MacKenzie. Steven you look cute with the puppy.

Love ya,

Mom, Dad & Robin

Anonymous said...

OH Erin, I'm so glad about the new voice! I'd so love to hear it! I'm anxious to hear about the results on the other... Love ya!

Diane said...

Hoping as everyone the thyroid nodules is nothing to worry about. Steven is getting to be such a littl eman, going off by himself. I can imagine how you nd Rob felt when you discovered he was gone! Mackenzie grows more and more adorable everyday, if that is even possible. Loved the video. SO looking forward to seeing you next month, and even more so HEARING you! It will fun to have the kids all together. A fun time to look forward to indeed!