Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Decisions Made

It took a few days for me to get over the disappointment of having to continue wearing this hard collar and not being past the recovery stage. It helped having these lovely flowers to look at that my colleagues at CR sent me.



Look how beautiful they are in the vase that came with them:


They came actually the day before I left for Stanford and can you believe it is over a week later and they are still beautiful! The tulips (my favorite) are open now. Thank you, thank you! I miss you guys too!

Well, after much thought and consultation Mom has decided and we have agreed it is best for her to stay here. Mom was not comfortable with me being here by myself that long with the kids without help and unable to drive. I have to say, that after watching a day and thinking how I would need to do things if it were just me, though it is difficult to say, I am not yet at the point where I feel I could manage on my own. I thought about looking into going back to work a little but then I was talking to someone on the phone for about 30 minutes and I had virtually no voice. I wouldn't be much good with no voice. So, I've decided to focus on walking since I am allowed to do that. Mom, Mackenzie, and I walked to church and back this past Sunday because there was finally a break in the rain. It was a little windy but, a little wind doesn't hurt anybody. Thanks Mom for being supportive and walking with me in the not so great weather.
Steven has created a new costume, "Underwater Diver."

The backpack is his oxygen tanks.

He wanted to wear the whole get-up in the bath. Rob was able to get him to ditch the "oxygen tanks" and use a swim cap instead.

Steven also appears, I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, to have decided that he is ready to wear underpants!

The above, Spiderman ones, are one of his favorites. He decided on Monday afternoon just after his friend Drake left. Drake had a little accident just before he left. Steven saw and was talking to Drake a bit while Drake's Mom, Tamara, went out to the car to get dry clothes for him. Steven wanted Drake to spend the night and Tamara said that they needed to be doing a little better with potty training first. Tamara meant Drake but, I think Steven took it as he had to be potty-trained too. He's had a few accidents but, he even is wearing his underwear to school and using the potty there too! We had the problem before that he'd have an accident and then get too discouraged to continue. He also would start fine at home but then refuse to use the potty at school and then wet his pants. He'd get bummed out and then refuse to wear underwear because he got embarrassed. I think it helped seeing Drake handle his accident so well. One woman's laundry is an other's ticket to the potty-training express train! I've been waiting for so long for him to be ready for potty-training. Now, I think, he's finally ready to go all the way! I'm so excited and proud of him but, a little sad. It is a sign that my little boy isn't a baby anymore. He just seems so much bigger when he's wearing underwear.

5 comments:

Ron said...

Erin,

Don't worry about Mom, you can keep here. Just joking. I look forward to seeing you all next week. I have a plan mapped out to some how get Mom's business records together so I can finally do my taxes. Finding all her business records is a little difficult. It is like the scarecrow says in the "Wizard of Oz" after he is torn apart by the witches monkeys, "There's a little over there and little over there, that's me all over." Well that's Mom's business records. I am taking off Fridays once I get back from the California trip until the day I retire. That will give me three day weekends to work on organizing Mom's business and getting my taxes done.

Love you all. I also want to talk with you about stealing Mom one night, perhaps next Tuesday or Wednesday for a date night. It has been awhile.

Love,

Dad

Chandelle said...

Erin,

I am very glad that you have such wonderful parents to help you through this. I know many people are helping, but it is so wonderful that your mom is able to stay with you and it seems your dad is being great about sharing her with you for such a long term...Although this seems like such a long time, just think how long life is and this is really just a very small piece of it. I am glad you met the lady at the donut shop because it is always nice to hear someone who has been through it say it was worth it. Just remember that if you, rob and mom all need a break we are here.

Diane said...

Erin I talked to your Dad over the weekend and he mentioned that your Mom would most likely be staying. She is an exceptional mother and woman and your Dad is very special too. Chandelle isa right. In the big picture, this is only a small amount of time. I am so glad that you are feeling a bit better about your recovery taking longer than you thought it would. How great that your Dad will be out there very soon to be with your Mom and all of you. If there is anything we can do down here, you know you just have to ask.

As to Steven! Woohooo! Go Steven!! It is good he learned that aciidents happen to everyone and you just have to pick up and go on. Isn;t it funny how things work out? I hope the boys get that sleep over real soon! Love and hugs to all!

Eileen and Stan said...

What an imagination Steven has. He's going to go places. Way to go Steven - big boy pants are the best. Glad to hear your Mom is staying and that your Dad is coming out too for a visit. You better give them a curfew when they go out for their "Date Night". Hang in there Erin - before you know it you'll be back to doing everything you want. Be patient with yourself. Love to all!

Marla said...

Erin-
I'm a dork - I'm just now catching up on blogs after about 3 wks of not looking. Sorry to hear about the neck collar thing. But somehow this too shall pass, right?
BTW - LOVE your mom. She's been a real help for you and I'm sure it's hard to be away from your dad. But equally a blessing to be around your little family :)
Love you!
Marla