I went to the blood center yesterday and since I hadn't given blood before (too big of a chicken) I had to go through a bunch of electronic paperwork first. They were impressed that I actually had listened to the directions Marge had given me and came well hydrated after a good breakfast. They saw just how well hydrated. I had to run to the restroom twice before giving blood. I wasn't going to tell them that I was a nursing mother because I was afraid they wouldn't let me do it. Of course, I told them, they had to check but, said it is okay only when you are donating to yourself. I asked why and they only said we don't allow it. Every other question I asked about donating eligibility had a real medical reason associated with it except this one. For example, my immediate blood relatives of the same blood type could not donate for me without a huge out of pocket expense since the blood would need to be radiated. I guess the blood would be so similiar to my own yet different that my immune system may attack it. Also husbands are not allowed to donate to their wives of childbearing age since it could cause problems with a future pregnancy. But, with nursing mothers it is just "because." I even tried to make up some stuff like, because of the transfer of saliva from the baby who hasn't been screened, to try and initiate a potential reason beyond "because." I got nothing.
Marge, the lady doing my draw, was really nice and she grew up in Napa and moved up here when she retired. We talked a lot about the Napa/Sonoma area and how things have changed.
I don't like needles so while Marge was prepping me and drawing blood I closed my eyes and thought about all the fun we had as a family the week before I left for Palo Alto.
Though our tomatoes never did mature our pole beans did wonderful. Here are some pictures of the harvesting.

Superman even took a break from saving the world to help.


Also, even though our thornless blackberry bush was only planted from a bareroot early this spring it produced a few sweet blackberries.


Our neighbor, Ann Marie, handed the Superman costume down to Steven along with a black Power Ranger suit. Steven loves dressing up as various characters as you have seen previously. He loves wearing the costumes. Here he is showing his moves as the black Power Ranger.
His favorite costume is Superman. I love taking Superman to the grocery store. Superman is a good guy so he is always helpful. I have the best behaved kid of any age in the grocery store. It is great! Here is Superman working on his hero response time.
I showed him "Super Boy Meets the Space Cannibals" that my Dad and brother, Ryan, made when Ryan was about 7. It is Steven's favorite. We have watched it 3 times the night before I left for Palo Alto. Then we play it out. Steven says, "I am Uncle Ryan." He doesn't say I am Clark. It is so cute. We'll have to make a mini movie of that. Maybe this weekend.
Next thing I knew Marge said, "You hear that beeping? That means you are done." Giving blood isn't so bad even when you don't like needles or the sight of blood when you have so many wonderful images in your head to think about.
After sitting for a bit in the chair I went to the canteen area. I grabbed a snack and started feeling dizzy. I immediately sat down on the floor. I started eating thinking that might help. I started feeling hot so I looked up to see if someone was around. A lady looked in and asked if I was okay. I said I didn't feel so hot. Suddenly I was surrounded by people. The side door opened to let in cool air, they helped me take my zip up sweatshirt off, laid my head down on a pillow, elevated my legs on a chair, and a cool washcloth was placed on my forehead. I felt like such a dork. I felt fine when I got out of the donation chair. They said it happens sometimes but I did the right thing to sit down immediately. I told them that the tumor I am having the surgery for has compromised my balance nerve on my left side so I can occasionally be unsteady anyways. They said next time they'll have me lay back in the donation chair longer and then sit up there a bit more before I head to the canteen area. My body just needs a little more time to adjust to the change in blood volume.
1 comment:
Hey Erin - don't feel like a dork. As a Red Cross volunter at blood drives for many years you'd be surprised at how many people I've seen have the same response to donating. At least you sat down on the floor and didn't faint away and end up on the floor. You did the right thing for sure. It will be much better next time. Donating for yourself is a very good choice.
Love ya,
Eileen
Post a Comment